Civil Engineering I
level of course unit
Learning outcomes of course unit
The students are able to:
• Describe the most important construction and materials as well as constructional concerns and compare their differences.
• Classify construction materials and materials according to their physical properties
• Identify and classify causes and avoidance of structural defects and damage to buildings
• Understand the basic principles of structural mechanics
• Understand basic building physics (heat, sound and humidity)
prerequisites and co-requisites
• Basic knowledge and overview of common building materials for construction and finishing
• Assessment and selection of building materials according to technical and economic characteristics
• Basic knowledge of structural mechanics
• Building physics (heat, sound and humidity)
• Construction defects and structural damage with regard to cause and avoidance
The module contains 25% exercises. This form of teaching takes place in small groups.
recommended or required reading
• Neroth, G. and D. Vollenschaar, 2011. Wendehorst Baustoffkunde: Grundlagen - Baustoffe – Oberflächenschutz. Wiesbaden: Vieweg+Teubner Verlag.
• Backe, H., 2008. Baustoffkunde: Für Ausbildung und Praxis, 11th edition. Cologne: Werner Verlag.
• Herrmann, H. and W. Krings, 2017. Kleine Baustatik: Grundlagen der Statik und Berechnung von Bauteilen, 18th edition. Wiesbaden: Springer Vieweg.
• Lutz, P et. al., 2013. Lehrbuch der Bauphysik: Schall, Wärme, Feuchte, Licht, Brand, Klima. Wiesbaden: Springer Vieweg.
• Pech, A. and C. Pöhn, 2018. Bauphysik Wärme – Feuchte – Schall – Brand. Basle: Birkhäuser.
assessment methods and criteria
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
planned learning activities and teaching methods
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Director of Studies
year of study
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery