Internet of Things (elective)
level of course unit
Learning outcomes of course unit
- know basic IOT architectures.
- know methods of data generation.
- know the basics of data transmission.
- know the options of data storage.
- know the forms of data visualization.
- understand challenges of data security.
prerequisites and co-requisites
- IoT architecture (e.g. reference models)
- Requirements for IOT systems
- IOT data transmission protocols
- Use of IOT in an industrial context (examples)
- Basics of sensor technology
- Basics of embedded systems
- Procedure for implementing IOT
- Prototypical implementation of IOT
- Selection of sensors
- Data collection, visualization and evaluation
- Challenges in implementation
recommended or required reading
Perry L.; Internet of Things for Architects: Architecting IoT solutions by implementing sensors, communication infrastruc-ture, edge computing, analytics, and security; Birmingham; 2018
Sinclair B.; IoT Inc: How Your Company Can Use the Internet of Things to Win in the Outcome Economy; 2017
Thomas O., Nüttgens M., Fellmann M. (editor); Smart Service Engineering: Konzepte und Anwendungsszenarien für die digitale Transformation; Wiesbaden; 2017
assessment methods and criteria
Written exam or seminar thesis
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lecture, individual work with software, group work, presentation and discussion of tasks
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Prof. (FH) Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Schmiedinger, PhD
year of study
2. study year
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery