Research Methods I: Qualitative Analysis
level of course unit
2nd study cycle, Master
Learning outcomes of course unit
The students are able to:
• design and implement expert interviews and group discussions.
• explain and apply qualitative analysis techniques such as interpretative text evaluation, hermeneutics or grounded theory.
• create questionnaires based on theoretical concepts and generate a survey design for a conjoint analysis.
• discuss the potential/limitations of qualitative methods and relate them to quantitative methods.
• assess the possible combinations of qualitative and quantitative methods and implement them in practice.
prerequisites and co-requisites
• Expert interviews and group discussions
• Survey methods in qualitative survey and observation
• Qualitative selection procedures and content analysis
• Interpretative text evaluation and grounded theory
• Creation of survey design for conjoint analysis
• Combination of methods
recommended or required reading
• Merriam, Sharan B.: Qualitative Research: A Guide to Design and Implementation. John Wiley & Sons (latest edition)
• Maison, Dominika: Qualitative Marketing Research: Understanding Consumer Behaviour. Routledge (latest edition)
• Myers, Michael David: Qualitative Research in Business and Management. SAGE (latest edition)
assessment methods and criteria
Term paper, presentation, exam
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Prof. (FH) Dr. Peter Dietrich
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery