Exploratory research methods
level of course unit
1. Study cycle, Bachelor
Learning outcomes of course unit
The students are able to:
• describe the basic methodological approaches in the social sciences and to orien-tate their own research projects accordingly.
• designate qualitative data collection procedures and implement them independent-ly.
• create questionnaires based on theoretical concepts and conduct and evaluate interviews and group discussions
• discuss the potential/limitations of qualitative methods and relate them to quantita-tive methods.
• assess the possible combinations of qualitative and quantitative methods and im-plement them in practice.
prerequisites and co-requisites
English version will be available soon
• Basic principles of qualitative social research
• Survey methods in qualitative interviewing and observation
• Qualitative selection procedures and content analysis
• Group discussion and interviewing
• Combination of methods
recommended or required reading
• Buber, Renate; Holzmüller, Hartmut: Qualitative Marktforschung: Konzepte - Methoden – Analysen. Gabler Verlag (in the current edition)
• Flick, Uwe: Qualitative Sozialforschung. Eine Einführung. Rowohlt Taschenbuchverlag. (in the current edition)
• Lamnek, Siegfried; Krell, Claudia: Qualitative Sozialforschung. Beltz Verlag. (in the current edition)
• Mayring, Philipp: Einführung in die qualitative Sozialforschung. Beltz (in the current edition)
assessment methods and criteria
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Prof. (FH) Dr. Peter Dietrich
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery